Do you want to get people’s attention? Do you want them to take notice of you and listen to your message? In an increasingly saturated world of instant communication, being heard and getting the right message across is not easy. The following 7 C’s of effective communication will get you heard, and can be applied to both written and oral communication.
The 7 C’s Of Effective Communication
Your communication must convey all the facts required by your audience. You must consider the receiver’s mindset and convey the message in the most appropriate way to meet their needs and ensure complete understanding.
Complete communication is important because:
- It helps to enhance the reputation of an organization.
- It is economical. All the required information is included in the message saving time for both you (the sender) and the receiver of your message.
- It includes all the information required there are no questions or misunderstandings in the mind of the receiver.
- It improves decision-making as the receiver of the message has all the desired information.
- It can be persuasive.
Conciseness means minimising wordiness – communicating what you want to convey in the least possible words. Conciseness is a necessity for effective communication.
Concise communication is important because:
- It saves time and costs.
- It highlights the main message by avoiding unnecessary information.
- It gives a short, essential message in limited words.
- It is more appealing and easier to understand for the receiver.
- It is not repetitive.
Consideration means taking your audience into consideration. This includes:
- Their views.
- Previous knowledge or experience.
- Education level.
You must envisage your audience, what they want, their emotions as well as their problems. You must ensure that the self-respect of your audience is maintained at all times and their emotions are not harmed in any way. To do this you should modify the words in your message to meet your audience’s needs while making sure your message is still complete.
Considerate communication is important because:
- It takes the “you” approach including the audience and their emotions.
- It shows an interest in the audience which stimulates a positive reaction from the receiver.
- It shows optimism by using “what is possible” rather than “what is impossible”.
- It is a more positive approach using words such as:
Your message should be clear. It should be specific and cover one goal at a time. Do not try to achieve too much at once.
Clarity in communication is important because:
- It makes understanding easier.
- It enhances the meaning of the message.
- It makes use of precise, concrete words.
Your message must be clear and confident rather than fuzzy and general.
A correct (concrete) message is important because:
- It is supported by related facts and figures.
- It is clear and helps to build a reputation.
- It cannot be misinterpreted.
Your message must include your point of view as well as respecting the views of your audience. You must be sincere, polite, considerate, and enthusiastic.
A courteous message is important because:
- It takes into consideration the viewpoints and feelings of the receiver of the message.
- It is positive and focuses on the receiver.
- It is not biased.
Your message must not have any grammatical errors or other distractions.
Correct communication is important because:
- The message is exact, correct, and well-timed.
- It boosts the receivers’ level of confidence level.
- It has a greater impact on the receiver.
- It ensures the facts are accurate.
Remembering these 7 C’s of communication will help you to improve your communication skills in both work and life.
Visualize your readers by considering . . .
- How they think.
- What they know.
- Their education level.
Then communicate with them.
Add Your Cleverness
Make suggestions, edit, and add your Cleverness to this page in the comments or click HERE.
Clever People Love To Share
It’s FREE to share, just reference Makemeclever.com Thank you for sharing Cleverness with others.
Be part of the Clever Community
It’s easy to get FREE promotion for your site, product, or service. All you have to do is share your Cleverness with us directly at email@example.com or find out more about being part of our Clever Community – we know you’re Clever and we’d love you to be part of the Clever Community.
Image by StartupStockPhotos from Pixabay