A Clever Leader must be able to inspire others with their vision. They must be able to motivate others to work at their best to achieve a common goal.
How do they do this?
We have summarised the research, articles and expert opinions to boil this often contested subject area down to its 10 essential areas. By applying these Top 10 Clever Leadership Skills to your ever-day leadership roles will help you to improve productivity, efficiency and achieve great things.
- Be a good communicator. Be able to effectively explain your vision to others in a clear and concise manner. You must also be able to communicate the energy required for your followers to achieve the common aim. Get them interested, excited and motivated to do their best at achieving your vision.
- Have the confidence to keep to your goals even when they may be experiencing difficulties. Alongside the word confidence research often cites areas such as perseverance and endurance to keep you moving towards your goal.
- Be willing to take on the responsibility required of the job and take the actions and decisions that that role requires. A Clever leader will always take responsibility for their actions and the actions of others. They may delegate a task but they retain the overall responsibility for ensuring that the final goal is achieved.
- Be willing to take calculated risks by trying new ideas and thinking ‘outside of the box’.
- Be transparent, honest and trustworthy in all situations. A leader who tries to hide something or ‘gloss over’ an uncomfortable fact may be seen as untrustworthy.
- Always be cooperative and be willing and able to work with others. Be flexible and ready to accommodate the needs and ideas of others but firm enough to keep going in your overall direction and goals.
- Recognize and promote the positive actions of others. Recognizing the achievements of people in your team will help to encourage them to work towards achieving their best.
- Be prepared to lead by example. Always set the highest standards and meet them yourself first. Setting a good example shows your team what is expected of them and gives them something to aspire to.
- Consider the feelings of others. Empathy is an important trait for a leader as it enables you to understand the positions, feelings and emotions of others. This will enable you to understand and encourage others to do their best in any given situation.
- Make decisions. They may not always be the right decision but any decision is better than having followers who are unsure of what they are doing or where they are going.
Clever Leaders must be flexible and adaptable and must be ready to apply any of these at any one time depending on the people they are leading, the task involved and the time available.
There is no one single great leadership trait, style or model because...
Every leader and every situation is unique.
...a great leader knows how to combine their strengths with the strengths of others to get the best of any situation.
Our recommended Clever Video on this subject to help you improve your Leadership Skills is: 4 Tips to Improve Leadership Skills | Brian Tracy. 5:03 Minutes